THERAPEUTIC APPROACH AND SPECIALTY
My approach to therapy is client-centered, conversational, interactive, and pro-active. While I work with people of all ages, my area of specialty involves working with teens and young adults (ages 13 to 30) who live with stories of trauma, anxiety, depression, and low self-esteem. I prefer to operate through a lens of curiosity instead of interpretation- allowing you to be the expert of your own life experiences, while encouraging resiliency and empowerment. I whole-heartedly believe that people and problems are separate- you are not the problem, the problem is the problem! Therefore, I strive to help you uncover and cultivate your strengths, abilities, and values so that you can look towards solutions and get past what's causing you unhappiness in life. Our sessions will flow at a pace that feels most comfortable to you- you are in control. I enjoy working with people of all cultures, backgrounds, religions, sexual orientations, genders, ethnicities, shapes, and sizes; and I will work collaboratively with you to ensure you are getting what you want and need out of our time together. I believe your lived experiences are unique and valuable, and I will honor them in a compassionate, empathic, respectful, and nonjudgmental way.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND AFFILIATIONS
- Master of Arts in Clinical Psychology with an emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy from Pepperdine University's Graduate School of Education and Psychology, Malibu, CA.
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology with an minor in Human Sexuality from California State University, Northridge.
- Trained in Postmodern Therapies (Narrative Therapy, Solution-Focused Therapy, and Collaborative Language Systems) from Phillips Graduate Institute, Chatsworth, CA.
- Experience conducting school-based psychotherapy with at-risk teens who bump up against a variety of problems such as substance use, depression, anxiety, anger, academic difficulty, gang affiliation, social and family issues, peer-relational issues, and self-esteem/identity issues.
- Trained in behavior modification techniques (Applied Behavior Analysis, Discrete Trial Training, and Pivotal Response Prevention) from Wellspring Healthcare Services, North Hills, CA, where I worked with children living with autism.
- Certified in Rape Crisis Advocacy from Valley Trauma Counseling Center, where I operated their 24-hour crisis hotline to provide emotional support, empowerment, and crisis intervention to survivors of sexual/physical assault and domestic violence.
- Pre-Licensed member of the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists (CAMFT) San Fernando Valley Chapter.
A LITTLE ABOUT ME
My passions and interests include: spending time with family and friends, being in nature, animal rights, environmental causes, paleo cuisine, health and fitness, social justice, sustainability, documentary films, interior decorating, traveling, reading, learning new things, and cuddling with my German Shepherd (his name is Frankenstein).